Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Groupie for a Day!


It's crazy what happens in a day.

On a recent hunch to take in the Russian experience - I acted on it yesterday - in hopes to meet some new people and learn more about this country and it's unique culture.

After my language class I decided to stop in a music store to check out some harmonicas. While looking the store clerk approached me and asked me something in Russian (most likely if i needed help with anything - but who knows - its always a guessing game for me!).

Long story short but he ended up butchering enough English - and I ended up butchering enough Russian - and we came to the conclusion that it would be cool to hang out sometime! And not just sometime - but he actually asked me to hang out with him and his band (Indigo Squares - picture above) for the day!

Not to miss out on a friendship making opportunity (those are far and few between here!) - I decided to say "Da!" (Yes in Russian).

So I spent the day yesterday (starting in early evening) - and attended a Russian hockey game (which is pretty much an obsession here) with the store clerk (Sergei - 3rd from the left in picture), Nikolai (on the far left in picture), Camile (not pictured - but in another band) - and Natasha (Sergei's girlfriend)!

At the end of the night they asked me to come and hang out at their recording studio while they practiced for an upcoming gig. And I officially became the band's first groupie!

It's amazing the people that God continually puts in our lives - isn't it!?! Whether it be a Russian music store clerk, a coworker, or some random person you meet in an even more random place - I firmly believe that God gives us these relationships to give us opportunity to point them to the ultimate relationship (with God!). Throughout the Gospels, Jesus was constantly meeting strangers, investing in their hearts and changing their lives (the woman at the well, the adulturous woman, Zaccheus in the sycamore tree, etc.). Actually, He still does that today!

So the next time you're given the chance - take a step of faith and initiate with someone who you WOULDN'T usually talk to...and who knows what could be in store!

No comments:

Post a Comment